Header_Ad

Monday, September 18, 2017

Fixing Room Echo and Improving Skype Quality (#19)

from Viral Podcasting

Just moved my studio once again. What a pain it can be. I can hook up the mixer and microphone and all the equipment within 15-20 minutes. But then comes the hard part, making your show sound as good as it was in your old studio. This was a real challenge in my new studio, because it had a lot of echo and it’s a very lively room. In addition, the Skype signal was constantly dropping and getting garbled. I even received several complaints from our listeners saying that the show’s audio quality had noticeably declined. What to do? I didn’t want to foam the place, which is the obvious solution. I hate the way it looks and it ruins the pain. I was watching an episode of the hit TV show The Profit. Marcus Lemonis invested in a firm Overtone Acoustics. They manufacture acoustic panels to reduce echo and help the sound profile of your room. I figured, probably won’t work but I’ll give it a try. I ordered 6 2’x4′ panels. They weigh about 7 pounds each and look like cloth panels. They’re stuffed with acoustic absorption material. I mounted them and the change was amazing. They’re not cheap at around $80 each, but well worth it. To fix the Skype issues, I connected an ethernet cable right from my computer to the WiFi router. Presto, no more Skype issues. Evidently, I had a misbehaved WiFi signal that was causing all the problems. I guess the answer is don’t move unless you absolutely have to. I should probably put together a moving check list, should I move again. Don’t forget to purchase my book, Viral Podcasting. Just click the link.

Click Here to Listen to the Audio

Sign up (on the right side) for the instant free Financial Survival Toolkit and free weekly newsletter.



from Kerry Lutz Podcasts – Financial Survival Network http://ift.tt/2hcmq3v